QSCAN is a 501 (c)(3) tax exempt, nonprofit, charitable, broad based community organization. We are dedicated to servicing children and families with sickle cell disease, thalassemia, the trait, and other chronic conditions. Established in 1978 as the Queens Sickle Cell Community Network, we subsequently became incorporated in 1997 and changed our name to Queens Sickle Cell Advocacy Network, Inc. (QSCAN). Our purpose is to provide awareness, advocacy, and an educational system through community outreach. To identify the needs and priorities of neglected families. To empower such families and individuals with knowledge, skills and assistance to access services and support to meet their needs.
To collaborate with health care professionals, Government agencies and programs, private institutions, and interested community groups for the management and eventual eradication of the Sickle Cell Disease.
Mission and Vision:
A deep sense of commitment; it focuses on those with Sickle Cell conditions. We provide a clear sense of direction for families and individuals, enabling them to actively participate in their communities and health care needs.
Our goals and objectives are:
- Sickle Cell Information & Referral Center
- Community Outreach, Education and Awareness projects
- Family or Individual Consultation & Counseling
- Parent Support Group
- Parent empowerment workshops/conferences
- Sickle Cell Youth Advisory Council
- Sickle Cell Family Support Services
- Hospital/Home Visits
- Family Financial Program
- Help Us to Sponsor a Child for Camp
- QSCAN Warriors Group
- QSCAN Scholarship Award
- We collaborate with researchers, participate in clinical trials, and collect data for the management and treatment of sickle cell disease and eventual eradication of the disease
Our annual scholarship is awarded to individuals affected with sickle cell disease who, in spite of the challenges they face, are determined to achieve their academic goals in college.
Get Tested Now for the Sickle Cell Trait!